Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Workout Wednesdays - #3 - Excuses, excuses

I'm pretty sure we have all been guilty of using at least one of these as an excuse not to exercise - I know I have!

Here's the thing - we need to be able to think our way around each of these - because that's exactly what they are - excuses - and they're all in our heads.  

The funniest thing is that even when I'm saying them, I know I'll feel better if I just exercise - it's just actually getting over the hump and doing it that's the hard part.

So here are some tips to get over each excuse:

1. "I'm too busy.."
This is by far the most common excuse. Look - we're all busy...but if something is a priority (the finale of The Bachelor, for example), we will make time for it.  So we need to make time for exercise.  Some people recommend scheduling it into your calendar the same way you plan meetings or other commitments.  Worth a shot?!

2. "I'm too tired..."
This is the most ironic excuse, since working out actually gives you more energy.  I often find that once I get moving, my tiredness disappears.  I once read somewhere to try bartering with yourself - tell yourself you only need to exercise for 10 minutes.  More often than not, by the 10 minute mark you are in the zone and will complete your full workout.

3. "I'm too old/fat/fill-in-the-blank..."
This one always makes me laugh!  It's never too late to start something new - especially a habit that has nothing but positive effects on you, your body, and your well being.  I tend to actually see people that are older/fatter/fill-in-the-blank as motivation for me.  If they can do it, why can't I?  

4. "Exercise is boring..."
Doing anything the same way day in and day out can be boring - eating the same things, working on the same projects, etc.  There's a reason we have a saying "variety is the spice of life"!  You just need to find activities that you love.  Think outside the box- try inline skating, dancing, or gardening.  Weight over distance is all you need - just get up and move!  Some days my heart isn't in it - for those times I just try to take my mind off of it and watch TV or listen to music while I exercise and pass the time.  Don't forget to mix it up - I got in a rut where I stopped doing yoga because I didn't feel I was getting as much bang for my buck timewise compared to cardio, but it's important for you to work different muscle groups and a combination of high and low impact activities is great!

5. "I always end up quitting..."
Negative Nelly sometimes creeps in - especially after a few months of being on a new routine when you start to plateau and aren't seeing the same results as you once were.  When this happens - set smaller, more attainable goals.  It's important to be able to succeed in the overall picture so you don't feel failure in your journey.  There is a theory that by stating your goals out loud, or writing them down, you are more likely to follow through.  Why not post your goals to your friends and family on Facebook - or comment here and we can do it together!  Already - there's something about sharing my decision to embark on the 90-day Tracy Anderson program to you all that has kept me on track longer than I probably would have on my own (thank you for that!)  :)  Also - give yourself a treat that you are working towards - new sneakers, a spa day, or maybe even a vacation to show off your body in a bikini once you hit your goal - that alone can provide incentive to keep you on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment